— Go Plastic-Free or Go Home
Did you know that more than 50% of plastic is used only once?
That 90% of plastic is never recycled?
That it is predicted that by 2050 there will be more rubbish than fish in the sea?
That plastic waste is destroying habitats, suffocating nature, trapping animals and killing ocean wildlife?
Now that you know, please don’t pretend you don’t. It’s not cute and nobody buys it.
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably now realized that plastic pollution is a major global environmental crisis. The reason behind this crisis is directly linked to guess who? Us lovely humans. We have consumed so much plastic over the years that we are literally drowning in it.
We may not be aware of the direct effect of overconsumption on the planet in a ‘if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it does it make a sound’ kinda maner… But, with many communities already feeling the negative effects of each bottle of water we buy, I think we can safely say that the falling tree does indeed make a noise, and it’s the noise of something crashing on a forest of discarded plastic bottles.
Plastic pollution is no longer just an environmental problem, but a global calamity for which there may still be time to find a solution. How? By acting, every day, in our own small way.
Here are five tips to propel you to be an active part of the process:
1. Use that tote bag! Yes that one and that other promo one. Keep one tote bag into another if you think you’re gonna need two. God knows you’ve been to enough promo events you cheap freeloader.
2. Don’t take straws from strangers. Period.
3. Stop using filters! This is not a mental health call out but for every cigarette you smoke you disperse into the environment a wee evil filter.
4. Reconsider fast fashion. Do more with what you have and do it your way.
5. Support businesses that make it their life goal to incorporate sustainable incentives in their production cycle. Hello, have you met us?
You don’t have to do everything at once, but if you do, make sure you document it and share it with us.